Monday 31 August 2009

Pear & Ginger Upside Down Cake

The pears in our garden are just coming into season now, and they seem to be the perfect cooking pear. We have only been here two years, and last year there were only a handful of pears which were not looking too good. But, this year, after a good prune last autumn, the tree seems to be thanking us with a bountiful supply of pears which I have got lots of plans for.
My husband and I both love ginger, and it goes quite well with pear, so I whipped up this quickly today.



First I peeled and cored the pears, and softened them in a little butter and sugar melted together for about ten minutes. The pears are still a little hard, so needed this quick poach before cooking, as I think the sponge would have cooked before the pears had I not done it.



I put all of the sponge ingredients in my food processer. I also have a Kenwood Chef, and normally make my sponges in that. But having rooted this out of it's hidey hole in the cupboard, thought I would try out a sponge mix in this. It is so incredibly quick, literally takes about a minute or so to whip all the ingredients together. So I might use it a little more often if the results are good.
.


A quick blast and we are nearly ready to pour the sponge mix over the poached pears.




I like using the silicone pans, but I still put a circle of baking parchment in the bottom of this one, as it's an upside down cake, I didn't want to take any chances.



The cake with some missing. What?! We have to try it you know, and it really lovely and light. The sponge has a fabulous texture, and the ginger gives the sponge a nice kick. Mmmmm.



A close up of the sponge, with the pears just peeking out on the top. Chopped stem ginger added into this would be gorgeous, and if the pears were cut into halves a halved cocktail cherry could be put into the hollow to add a splash of colour. Very retro!

     Pear & Ginger Upside Down Cake
   
4 - 6 Pears
150g Self Raising Flour
150g Butter or Margarine
150g Sugar
2 Eggs
2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
1 Tablespoon Chopped Stem Ginger (Optional)
1 Tablespoon Ginger Syrup from Stem Ginger Jar (Optional)
1 Tablespoon Milk
Approx 35 minutes 180 c
Peel, core and quarter or halve pears.
*If the pears are ripe line a greased dish with a layer of baking parchment, and sprinkle with a tablespoon of soft brown sugar, and add the pears with the cut sides down.
*If the pears are hard, put 30 grams of butter and 30 grams of brown sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has melted and simmer the pears on a gentle heat until they are part cooked. About 10 minutes, then put into a greased and lined dish.
Put flour, butter, sugar, eggs, ginger, and ginger syrup (if using) into a bowl.
Whisk on high speed until soft and light in colour .
Fold in milk and chopped ginger
Pour sponge mix over pears, and cook for approx 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment