Tuesday 16 June 2009

Topsy Turvy Cake








This cake was a challenge. Again it was a birthday cake for the same friends other daughter, she was not having a party, so I thought I would try a mini topsy turvy cake. Hmm, quite a challenge too, but loads of fun. I love mauve and lime green together, and thought it would great on this style of cake. I had recently bought a fabulous book by Lindy Smith, (Cakes to Inspire and Desire), and she shows you the engineering side of these cakes in the book.


So, with a little trepidation, and some excitement at using my new 4" spring sided, loose bottom cake tins, I made the batter, and again tinted it violet, pink and white, and baked each cake. When done, I cut the crusts off, and tried to cut the cakes so they would sit well on top of each other without too much of a slant. That done, I crumb coated, and covered them with the fondant I had tinted. Again I covered them with cutouts, and made the toppers with gumpaste that I had marbled. This cake was also a surprise, and I wish I had a photo of her face when I walked in with it, she was quite emotional, and didn't want to cut it at all. She was persuaded to by her friends though.

No comments:

Post a Comment