Tuesday 16 June 2009

Dragon cake

This was for my little ones birthday. I wanted to make a 3D cake, and learnt a lot from the experience, namely don't make the head from cake, as it will fall off!



I cut out all the scales from fondant, but with the amazing gift of hindsight, should have made them much thinner, as I spent about two hours cutting out each individual circle and layering them over each other, only to find later that day they had all slipped down the cake.
This caused me a bit of a problem which is very visible, in that I had to replace the scales, but as the crumb coat underneath was chocolate ganache it now showed on the scales and could not be covered up!


The cake was a chocolate Madeira, with chocolate ganache. The cake itself was very big, and when I tried to move it even more ganache squeezed through the scales, so I thought it was prudent to leave it where it was.
 It didn't seem to matter to the kid's much though, as the party sparklers coming out of it's mouth and nostrils seemed to capture their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment